Wednesday, July 22, 2009

update August 2009!

Greetings Massive,

Its been an awesome and eventful 2009. I can't believe we are over half way through the year, and I still feel the same momentum from the beginning if the year. Some of my plans have changed since then, so I thought you all needed a little update.

Even though this site has been chugging along with new playlists every strong, I have been working on a new site for a while. I started down one path and changed direction recently due to some changes in the broadcasting rules. (more on that later)
Eventually massiverespect.com will be on its own server and it will be a Wordpress blog. I was going to switch to temporary wordpress blog but I think this site will do fine until the new one is ready.

The reason for this is that massiverespect.com will be joined by additional websites that will each highlight a different area of my business, Humboldt Release.Community. It will be 10 years ago this October that I had a "vision" for building community in Humboldt County through music. This has manifested into a defunct record store (two actually), a record label, over 1000 events, multiple radio shows, websites, mix-tapes, clothing, a sound system, production services, websites, and more to come including a music studio. Each one of those areas will have it's own little slice of the web, and they will each roll out as they are ready.

I'm not re-inventing the wheel here, but after 8 years of school and lots of experience I feel its time to get my professional work organized and ready for the next stage of expansion. One of the goals of this music empire is to travel the world with my family playing music for dancers all over the globe. Basically, I want to see the world and show it to my children and I want to pay for it all by working as a DJ. The seeds of this stage have been revealed in the form of the Reggae Jamdown podcast.

For two years, the following of Jamdown listeners has been growing. In October 2008, the Reggae Jamdown joined BigUpRadio.com on its Roots station. This has expanded the audience greatly and for that I am thankful beyond comprehension. In the last few months I have heard from Turkey, Germany, and the UK. I also have lots of folks in California tuning in, from locals in Humboldt to old friends in San Diego. So from October until now there have been two flavors of the Reggae Jamdown; the original podcast which is recorded live on KHSU and the BigUpRadio version which omits the local sponsors and adds some occasional extra ticket giveaways. Well, due to changes in the way radio stations report what is being played I have been told that the KHSU version of the show can only happen on the live stream.

This simplifies things in a lot of ways as you can get the same Reggae Jamdown two different ways. From the podomatic stream listed at the top left corner of this page or from bigupradio. If you want to hear the "Humboldt local" version of the show. The only way is to have a radio within range or go to www.khsu.org at 2pm pacific time on Friday afternoon. Look out for new shows posted on the original stream this strong.

I think that covers the website and podcast. In other news, I have a free Tuesday Dancehall Reggae night at the Sidelines that has been building up steam. Starts at 10pm, and I mentioned its free right. This is where I have been breaking all the newest tunes, so if you are in Humboldt and you want to hear the newest dancehall and reggae, be at the Sidelines on Tuesdays. Sidelines isn't your typical Reggae kind of establishment but you have to trust that your boy Dub Cowboy isn't messing around with any monkey business. Ya heard? Not that monkeys are not cool.

No comments:

Reggae Jamdown Podcast