Thursday, May 21, 2009

Massive Respect Update

Faithful Massive,

First of all, THANK YOU for your continued and increasing support. This site and the KHSU podcast have received little attention lately but that is starting to change. If you are a subscriber, you may have noticed that several new (old) episodes have been posted. By the time the shows in May are posted I will have to start taking down shows from 2009 already. I have come to find out that this is one of the highest sound quality reggae podcasts out there, and I want it to stay like that. If you come across any issues, please let me know via this blog.

The REGGAE JAMDOWN has two homes. The original KHSU broadcast and the new BigUpRadio.com version. Over there the shows come a little bit later than the original stream but reach a much wider audience. New shows debut every Monday at 3am, 9am, 3pm, and 9pm EST on the Roots stream.

Here is a link to BigUpRadio.Com

DJ Shows

I DJ four nights a week in Arcata and Eureka. I have sort of just been riding the waves in '09, but I really want to step up the promotion of these gigs and that starts now.

TUESDAYS
PROGRESSIVE DRINK NIGHT at The Sidelines in Arcata.

This is a straight up dancehall night night. I play whatever I want and everyone seems to love it. If you want to hear the latest Dancehall music, this is the place to do it. NO COVER and the drinks get cheaper as the night goes on. We're talking micro brews here.

THURSDAYS
VIDEO MASH DOWN at The Sidelines in Arcata

I am an early adopter of a technology that allows me to mix music video (or whatever else I want) in sync with the music. Some of you may know this as Serato Scratch LIVE. It the next level of DJ experience. I have been interacting with the company and so far they have sent me some very rare control records and my new favorite t-shirt. I am really trying to push this and you get the full benefits because once again, NO COVER. I start at 10pm and you can expect to hear and great mix of music and see some nice visual treats.

FRIDAYS
VIDEO MASH DOWN at Raggs Rack Room in Eureka

This is the Eureka version of what I on Thursday. The music switches up a bit and leans more toward Hip Hop and R&B than Dance music and Remixes. This is actually one of my favorite gigs. My folks come out to party and they know how to tip. I always have fun at this gig. I don't even know what the cover is, but I think they have a special deal for the ladies.

SATURDAYS
[not sure what to call it] at The Jambalaya in Arcata

Up until May this was called mission:CRITICAL and the focus was on Dancehall and Reggae music with a splash of Dubstep and Hip Hop. I didn't count of there being so many reggae themed events on Saturdays here in this small little village, so we have pulled back on that theme. We definitely had some good nights and I want to thank everybody that felt the vibes of mission:CRITICAL. It WILL BE BACK and pretty soon at that. However, I am still throwing down at the Jambalaya on Saturday nights. Once again, there is NO COVER and now the Jambalaya is serving food until late. They have a new night menu that deserves to be checked out, nothing over $5.

The mix has been all over the place, but very solid. So far, everybody that has come has stayed the whole night. In some ways, this is the style of DJing that I was trying to do in 2005 when I was going back and forth between Humboldt and SF. I guess the hipsters are all over the place now. I love it.


So that is my weekly DJ roster, plus the radio shows, the three kids, and the lighting gigs. I stay busy and that is why I haven't posted much beyond the playlists. Things are coming around though and I am very excited. I spent 7 years working for a degree and I feel like I am just now getting in the headspace to use it (and have cleaned up the mess it created) So lets keep this fire burning.

I love hearing from you.

I am consolidating my communication routes:
Email: djdubcowboy [at] yahoo.com
Twitter: www.twitter.com/djdubcowboy
Myspace: myspace.com/dubcowboy
Facebook: Daniel Giannotta
(NEW) PO BOX 650 Arcata, CA 95518


As always,

MASSIVE RESPECT

Dub Cowboy

1 comment:

Jim A. said...

Big up selecta!
Thanks for all your hard work and the rockin' tunes.
Hold the faith, for Jah is great.

Reggae Jamdown Podcast