Sunday, March 16, 2008

Dread Always At The Controls



R.I.P.

Respect Is Perpetual

Mikey Dread, you will live on through our words sound & power.


The earth lost a great warrior on March 15th 2008. Mikey Dread AKA Michael Campbell passed on from complications due to a brain tumor. He was an excellent artist, and huge inspirations, and a good friend. I did several shows with Mikey Dread. He always treated me with respect and love. I remember him as a humble soul.

My first encounter with Mikey Dread was at Reggae on the River in 2001 or 2002. He was chanting with the Heaven Bus Crew late night style. He wasn't on the line-up that year, just enjoying Reggae (on the River). He chanted all night. I didn't believe it was Mikey Dread at first, but the authenticity was undeniable.

A few years later I was promoting shows when my phone rang with a Florida phone number. Surprisingly it was Mikey Dread. I still am not sure where he got my phone number, but it was a honor to receive a call from a Reggae veteran such as himself. He was interested in coming to the area and wanted me to promote a show for him. I think I put on three Mikey Dread shows in total. He was always humble and always a pleasure to work with.

One of those times, I got to spend some extended time with him. I was a DJ on KSLG 94.1 FM at the time and they requested an interview with him because of his work with The Clash. The station was a good 40 minutes from the hotel room, so we got to share a nice drive through Humboldt County. The sun was shining and he told me stories of his awesome career on the way to and from. Mikey Dread was one of the pioneers on what I do, which is to play Reggae music on the radio. Every time I open the mic to address the Massive, I do so with massive respect to the one called....Mikey Dread.

Massive Blessings



Update: I have been listening to an old radio show from Mikey Dread that was made when I was my son's age (2). I found it here: http://whocorkthedance.blogspot.com/2008/03/as-tribute-to-late-great-mikey-dread.html

Thanks to Hugh Knight for the heads up.

No comments:

Reggae Jamdown Podcast